Saturday, April 14, 2012

Grandaddy

A couple of years ago we lost one of the greatest men I ever knew. I still think of him often throughout my days..... my heart still aches with grief.....Thought I'd reshare this post as I think of him today...
I love you Grandaddy


my daddy and grandaddy

Not long before he passed, out in the yard, his favorite place to be:)

He and my daddy have always been carpenters, so this is very dear to me.

His workshop

His chicken pen and shed

You could see this swing from my driveway and I always remember seeing him and granny sitting here during the evenings where they often shucked corn and hulled peas.

Grandaddy LOVED his birds!
He had ghords and bird feeders all over the yard.
He loved to sit and watch them from the kitchen table.

His storage room back door
(it's funny the things you find dear to you after losing someone you loved so much... I can still see him walking through this door)

His workboots in the storage room.
None of us could move them after he died for a long time,
but I think someone finally did.

You could always find grandaddy in his storage room,
or his so called "mancave" working on something.

Wretched and worn from all the years of hard work

You often found him sitting here by himself in the afternoons. I always imagined he was probably having a little talk with the Lord.

Friends and family would often gather on the front porch to enjoy some good fellowship and share old memories.

This banana tree has been here as long as I can remember.
I still visit it often because it reminds me of him...
It has the most beautiful fragrance.... he always loved that tree.

As a child, if I ever heard the tractor crank up,
I ran outside as fast as I could to hop on and ride with him.
(One of my most favorite memories with him)

He loved his gardens. We always thought we would find him out there one day when it was his time to go. The past few years, we would sit and talk about our gardening... I will always treasure that time with him.

I love you Grandaddy...

Thank you for always being a Living Testimony in my life

and the lives of so many others...
















1 comment: