Saturday, May 8, 2010




Growing up I have so many beautiful memories with my mom.

She has always been such a fun mom, always creating and using her imagination.


There has never been a dull moment in my mom's brain! She's always had an idea for making things out of "nothing!"

I remember sitting at the kitchen table on a beautiful summer day making dollar bills out of paper so I could play store. She taught me how to color them and cut them to look exactly like the real ones! So much fun! And I must admit, they did look pretty real! (to a 5 year old anyway:)

I remember her making the best tents out of sheets, stringing them up all over the living room for me to have the best adventures under! Didn't matter if we made a mess, it could be cleaned up later she would say.


I also remember that she wouldn't let the lack of money detour us from having fun either! I remember one summer her making us a slip and slide out of a piece of plastic and a waterhose! (And by the way, she joined in the fun that day too!) We had the biggest slip in slide around and it didn't cost a thing!

All of my friends loved to come to my house to play! And as I think back now, I really think they enjoyed playing with my mom more than me!:)

One of my most cherished memories is my mom standing in the kitchen cooking or canning summer vegetables. She would rise before daybreak to cook homemade biscuits every morning before school and to make sure dad was well fed before he went to work. Then the best part of the day was coming in from school and smelling the aroma of fried chicken sizzling and cornbread baking in the oven! Our family always had dinner at the table together, with a home cooked meal, and blessings offered to the Lord.

Another loving memory I have of my mom is the quality time she spent reading to me. Whether it was old fashioned fairy tales or scripture from the Bible, mom always read to me. She would snuggle up next to me on the couch or in bed and read me stories. They always seemed so magical and alive coming from her voice, I loved hearing her read.

All this said, I guess the best memory I have of my mom growing up is that she's always been such a wonderful, spiritual role model in my life. I always remember her reading her Bible and journaling scripture.... I would crawl up in the bed next to her and sometimes watch as she took notes and read His Word. My friends and I loved to sit with her, talk about scripture and have her explain it's meaning to us. I love her for that. For being such a Godly example for me to follow as well as my friends.

Such sweet memories of my mom growing up. She's always been the sparkle in my life, my confidant, my best friend. There are no secrets between us, nothing I've ever had to hide.

Thank you momma for always loving me unconditionally. For being my biggest supporter and encouraging me to always press on! For raising me in a strong christian household and keeping me grounded in the Lord. Thank you for staying at home and always taking your role as a mother seriously. Thank you for all the fun times as a child and for taking care of me and nurturing me.

In you lies a beautiful sparkle, a genuine love, and a very noble and virtuous woman.

I love you! Happy Mother's Day!!


No comments:

Post a Comment